Saturday, May 22, 2010

Moment of Cynicism T-Shirts

At our school, teachers get to have a casual day each Friday. We call it "Spirit Day", and we have to wear the shirts that advertise for our school. I generally have no problem with this. I prefer a t-shirt to a button-up shirt and tie. But on those days when I'm feeling cynical, I wish I could choose some other shirt that expresses how I feel. In this fit of distemper, I made a shirt on cafepress.com that anybody can buy, and if I sell a few I'll be able to afford to buy one myself. So, my fellow high school teachers, if you're interested, here's my first design:

pic of shirt - Share on Ovi

Shirt 2 edit 3 sewing shirts - Share on Ovi

Available in all kinds of designs at:

http://www.cafepress.com/gorman_blog

Buy one for everybody on staff!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Um... might want to check the spelling of "sewing" before you market this to other English teachers...

Unknown said...

As long as I'm being pedantic, you might also want to look up the definition of "distemper".

Benjamin Gorman said...

As for distemper: [Archaic] To unsettle; derange.
[From Middle English distemperen, to upset the balance of the humors, from Old French destemprer, to disturb, from Late Latin distemperre : Latin dis-, dis- + Latin temperre, to mix properly.]

As for "sewing" I have no defense and am more than a bit embarrassed.

Benjamin Gorman said...

Okay, I fixed it. Thanks for the save!

Unknown said...

Because my pedantry knows no bounds (I'm a professor: it's what we do), I have to point out that your archaic definition is for the verb distemper, while your blog uses distemper as a noun.

Benjamin Gorman said...

I'm not sure where I first heard the phrase. I thought I'd read it in Shakespeare, but I can't find it. A google search did reveal that it got by the editors of The Economist, The Boston Globe, and The National Republic in the same context I used it, though most of the uses I found were related to dogs. One was related to dragons, though I'm not sure if they were in a bad mood or had a disease.