Sunday, February 22, 2009

25 Random Lies About Me, issue ten

10. Though I’m not good at building electronic things, like Phil’s time machine, I’m pretty handy with older technology, and something of a history buff. Once, I decided to test out the theory that the people of Easter Island came there in dugout boats from South America.

easter-island - Share on Ovi

I created my own simple seafaring craft and set sail from the Oregon coast, intending to land in Hawaii, which is roughly equidistant.

dugout boat - Share on Ovi

I didn’t quite find it and sailed halfway around the world, finally arriving at a small city on the south side of Australia named, ironically, Portland.

Portland Australia - Share on Ovi

While there I became a walk-on member of their Australian Rules Football team, and in 2006 we won the Western Border Football League Premiership.

Team_Photo - Share on Ovi

I thought about staying, but got sick of the way people spelled things like “Centre” and “Theatre”, so I came home. The team went on to win the premiership again in 2007, which should make me happy, but somehow it just felt like a big FU from the guys, like they wanted to show that they didn’t really need my help.

true-football-fan - Share on Ovi

No comments: